How do you sell 200 sub sandwiches in 3 days? ☺ Well, you have a Fabric Sale and you advertise 9” subs at 3/$10!! Wow! Did we have an adventure—it was terribly fun to brainstorm how to accomplish this feat in our meat and cheese deli, where our sub counter is set up to make two subs at a time (normally we might sell a dozen, or on a Sat, we might sell 20, in addition to our constant stream of meat & cheese customers.) With the Lord’s help, we figured out some ways to streamline it, and we kept our customers served in a timely manner (faster then Subway, I warrant), and we also made two HUGE meat and cheese trays for a local funeral besides! I admit, I loved the challenge, and the close teamwork involved. We had fun, but boy, 11-hour work days do make a tired Mama and Deli Mom! I was so glad to have a relaxing day at home yesterday with my children.
One treat that comes with living farther north is the privilege of buying concord grapes by the half-bushel! We love eating them fresh—a box last week, and another box this week well on it’s way to destruction by my gang (and for those of you who will think negatively—no, we did not have any adverse effects). Yesterday we made 12 quarts of canned juice from yet another box! It looks so pretty in the jars, but you are supposed to let it set at least a week before opening it. We also froze several bags of okra, and had some for Sunday dinner today, along with a mess of black-eyed peas! I’m not sure, we may have lost our garden this morning; there was a frost, but I didn’t go out to see if it killed the okra and tomatoes.
Jim played in the creek yesterday—since we moved here, we have had to use the neighbors’ lands to get on the back side of our creek to carry firewood up for our outdoor furnace, and he has been wanting to make a ford (very common here). So he rented a mini-excavator and dug away! It will still need stone to complete it—but I think he was pleased with his task.
In more serious matters, we had a thought-provoking situation at the store this week: a local lady came in, complaining that someone close to her had been involved with the Ouija board and several people had since died. She was fearful for her own life and her son’s life. She said that when she came into the store, her fear and shaking would stop. She asked to speak with the owner, and he counseled her as best he could. It happened in the middle of a huge rush of customers, so I did not feel like I could leave my post and go offer to pray with her, which was my instinctive response. I shared the situation first with my family on the way to church Wed. eve, and again in our prayer request time. Then when our Wed. night leader got up to read the Scripture he had chosen for the evening, he surprised us all by leading us in a discussion of how the Bible deals with witchcraft and the occult, and how we can help people involved in those things. I couldn’t wait to hear Ron’s answer when I asked if he had changed his topic after hearing the prayer requests! “Oh, no,” he said, “I prepared this on Monday!” So after a very tiring 11-hour day at work, followed by church, I went home—very tired, yet so excited that God cared enough about this lady to direct the timing of her visit and the topic of our Bible Study! I was disappointed that she did not return to the store on Thurs or Fri, but please pray that I will yet have a chance to share the Gospel with her, before it is too late. She is not from a pretty background, but I know she is not beyond the grace of our God.
Please continue to pray for Cody in India —he is there until the 5th. Tanya is officially unemployed, now—although she is not stressed about it. She has a couple of job offers, but is holding out on them for a bit. This week someone saw an ad in the paper for a “mother’s helper,” and it looks like just what she would like to do. They are having a baby and want full-time help for “cooking, errand running, grocery shopping, and assisting a stay-at-home-mom with her daily demands.” And the pay is “generous” according to the ad. ☺ She is going for an interview this Friday, and would appreciate your prayers for God’s direction.
Well, it’s time to sign off, another week is beckoning with all its challenges and joys. God’s blessings to you all!
It's always good to hear about your family. Keep up the blogging!
ReplyDelete